Transitioning from SQL Assistant to Studio Express

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Re: Transitioning from SQL Assistant to Studio Express

Edgar, So for the other database types, we include the "enablement" modules from Eclipse to provide the SQL development environment within Studio. In the future, we are looking at extending this functionality, like we have done with Teradata database types.

Hi Fgrimmer, thanks for reply. Is there an article to instruduce how to enable these modules in Eclipse?

I am keen to see this feautre to be extended :)

Teradata Employee

I am assuming you have already created the connection profile for the database, such as Oracle, DB2, or SQL Server. For now you have the basic SQL File Editor and a Result set window to view the results. We have requests for additional functionality such as the result set viewer, loading data into tables, and moving data to Teradata database. What additional features would you be interested in?

Enthusiast

Hi fgrimmer, I would like to know the performance comparison of TD Studio Export Mode vs using SQL Assistant. Would it be much faster exporting data set using TD Studio? Thank you in advance.

Teradata Employee

jerico, We have not run performance tests specifically comparing exporting data. But for Studio and large tables, we are taking advantage of the JDBC FastExport option.

Enthusiast

Thank you. Just a follow-up question, when exporting large data set, will TD Studio automatically use JDBCFastExport or it needs to be enabled first?

Teradata Employee

It will automatically use JDBC FastLoad option based on the table size.

Enthusiast

Hi Fgrimmer,

It was a nice article. 

I am facing few challenges while exporting/importing huge tables.I noticed that Teradata studio is not using fastexport while exporting the data, it's taking 20 -30 minutes for exporting a table having 2 million records. Please let me know If I would need to change the settings to have the studio to use fastexport/fastload .

Teradata Employee

Sudheer, It will pass the JDBC FASTLOAD option to the JDBC driver for tables with more than 100,000 rows, but if there are column types not supported by the FastLoad protocol, the JDBC driver will revert to batch load. What does the DDL look like for your table?

Enthusiast

I can just see a DDL and a SELECT statement from source server(I don't fastload/fastexport scripts). I would need to install any Teradata utilities on my local drive (the drive am running Teradata studio)?