Use Teradata Parallel Transporter to Move Data Without Landing the Data to Disk

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.

Re: Use Teradata Parallel Transporter to Move Data Without Landing the Data to Disk

Thanks your response Tony

1. Does "10 schema" mean "10 tables"?

each schema conations 10,20,50 etc.. tables

2. Is the 200TB data on the 2 different AIX boxes?

Yes

3. Do you need to move the data from one Teradata database to another Teradata database?

Sources is Oracle 11g Databases

4. What do you mean when you said "There were created three TD databases and we are not going to move 200TB data into TD and it subset of data ha to move to TD(around 150TB)"?

We need subset of data not entire tables. For example: employee table has 1b rows but need move 10m rows to Teradata.

Thanks,

Selvam

Enthusiast

Re: Use Teradata Parallel Transporter to Move Data Without Landing the Data to Disk

Hi,

We have similar requirement to extract data from Oracle and load it to Teradata using TPT. Hope DataDirect is the only certified ODBC driver to connect Oracle and run FastExport utility.

Hope TD 15.10 TTU support Oracle Wire Protocol and I believe this is certified or authorized methos to extract data from Oracle. If yes, do we still need to dependent on DataDirect which includes additional cost.

Teradata tbuild ODBC client: /opt/teradata/client/15.10/tbuild/odbc

Looking forward for your expertise inputs.

Thanks!!

Enthusiast

Besides, I would like to know whether the Teradata system would take up more resource while loading from Oracle to Teradata Without Landing to Disk.

When the Script start to execute, it connects to load session in Teradata first and then only it connects to ODBC sessions in oracle.

My question is whether the resource is unnecessarily getting utilised in Teradata until the time ODBC Export is happening from Oracle perspective. 

Enthusiast

Hi Tony,

i want migrate 6TB of data in Teradata Database, could you please help me how TPT can help me for this.

Teradata Employee

Kamma1166, what is the source of the 6TB data?

Is the source data on 1 or more disk files?

Is the source data on an ODBC-complaint database, such as Oracle or DB2?

Is the source data on a different Teradata Database?

Enthusiast

I am new to tpt..I want to tansfer data from oracle to teradata table.I wrote a script for that.Will u plz tell me how to run it.I m using unix(putty).Plz tell me what are the requirements to run the tpt script.Also tell me which operators need to use in the tpt script.

thanku..

Teradata Employee

samy@7, You need to use the TPT "tbuild" command to run a TPT script.

For example: tbuild -f <TPT script> <TPT job name>

See the "tbuild" command in chapter 1 of the TPT Reference.

You need to have the following 5 Teradata packages installed on your machine in order to run a TPT script:

* Teradata TeraGSS package

* Teradata tdicu package

* Teradata cliv2 package

* Teradata Parallel Transporter Base package

* Teradata Parallel Transporter Stream Operator package

You must use the TPT ODBC Operator to extract rows from Oracle.

You can use one of these TPT operators to load into a Teradata table:

* TPT Load operator

* TPT Update operator

* TPT Stream operator

* TPT SQL Inserter operator

For more information on the TPT operators, see the TPT Reference.

Enthusiast

Thanku Tony..useful information.But I am having one doubt..you said that use the TPT ODBC Operator to extract rows from Oracle..My doubt is which dirvers should I use?means teradata ODBC drivers or Oracle ODBC divers?I have downloaded DATADIRECT_ODBC_TERADATA_SOL_SPARC_32.tar i.e. ODBC divers for solaris,is it correct? and during download I chose oracle daatbase.please tell me..I am confused a lot.

Highlighted
Teradata Employee

samy@7, you can use either Progress DataDirect ODBC drivers or Simba ODBC drivers.

The Progress DataDirect ODBC drivers are bundled with the TPT package starting with these TPT versions:

1. TPT 14.10.00.06 and later

2. TPT 15.00.00.02 and later

3. TPT 15.10.00.00 and later

For more information, see the TPT Reference.

Enthusiast

Hi Tony,

As you told..use Progress DataDirect ODBC drivers so I downloaded it.But the file is in tar.Z format.In unix I tried to unzip it by using tar -xvf filename.tar.Z command but it is showing following errors:

uncompress: filename.tar.Z: corrupt input  

tar: directory checksum error

and the filename.tar.Z contains zip files inside it.How to fix this error?

How to unzip it? It is necessary to unzip for installation of ODBC drivers. 

Thanku.