What's new in Teradata SQL Assistant 15.0

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Re: What's new in Teradata SQL Assistant 15.0

#1 I don't understand the issue. Saving/accessing multiple connections never had anything to do with the Explorer window.

If you want to be able to connect to multiple systems at the same time then you must check that option on the General tab.

The actual connection information is saved/accessed through the connection dialog which is displayed when you click Connect.

#2 There is an option on the Query tab that must be checked if you want this functionality. 

#3 The results of each statement in a script is displayed in a log window (that temporarily replaces the Query itself) while the query is executing. There is an option on the Query tab that will cause it to ask whether you want to save this Query Log after the query completes.

Otherwise the results of each statement are written to History as before. To view this information you can simply hover over the 'Result' column in the History window. If there were too many statements for this to work well you can double click that History row to display the Edit History dialog where the result messages will be displayed in a scrollable window.

Enthusiast

Hi,

I just received the SQLA 15.10.1.3, and am looking for the toggle comment shortcut. The above mentioned Ctrl+/ doesn't work, and according to the "Customize Keyboard" window there is no shortcut specified for the comment command. Ctrl+/ doesn't appear in the list of shortcuts. Customized shortcuts are lost every time I quit the SQLA. Any possibility to get a steady shortcut back?

Teradata Employee

I'm not sure why it is not working for you.

The command subsystem we use only allows you to set certain key combinations. Basically you can choose one or more control keys (Alt,Ctrl,Shift) with any letter, number or function key.

It does not support [or at least it does not save] special characters. 

Because of this I have to manually assign the Ctrl / combination at load time. (plus a couple of others)

That means that if you have set it to something else then it will be overridden back to the usual Ctrl /.

The only thing I can think of is that it got an error during initialization and never reached the line that sets the shortcut. 

Please send the SQLAError.txt file to me - it may contain information about an error. (It should be in \Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Teradata\SQL Assistant)

Another thing you can try would be to delete the Toolbars.config file from that directory ... but it you have customized the menus and toolbars you will lose those customizations.

Enthusiast

Thanks, will pass it to our DBA. Deleting the Toolbars.config didn't help.

Hello, I am using SQLA 15.10.0.01, the highest version distributed to users by our DBAs.

I keep getting errors from block comments containing *. I thought this was fixed in an earlier version of 15. Is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks

Teradata Employee

Yes the "* in block comments" issue was fixed in 15.0.0.3 but 15.10.0.1 was completed before that efix was released so the fix was not rolled into 15.10 until 15.10.0.2 I'm afraid.

If you can not upgrade to a later version but you have write access to the 'teradata.lng' file (in the execution directory) you could fix the issue by adding a single line to that file.

If you would like to try that, please email Mike.Dempsey@Teradata.com and I'll send you the instructions. (The line includes a number of special characters that will probably get corrupted it I try to add it into this html file.)

Highlighted

I am using SQLA 15.10.1.3 and when I do a "Find and Replace" the cursor stays at the positions of the last characters that were replaced. Earlier SQLA versions would return the cursor to the top of the query.   Can you change "Find and Replace" to return the cursor to the top of the query?  Thanks.

Teradata Employee

I assume you are refering to Replace All since it would not make sense to move the cursor if you were replacing items one at a time.

You did not mention which 'previous' version you were using but it appears that it was 14.10 or earlier. Starting in 15.0 we use a new editor that provides additional functionality. As a result I had to re-write all editor functions and it looks like I accidentally changed the behavior.

However the old behavior varied depending on how large the query was in relation to the height of the window. In some cases it would position the cursor after the last string that was changed, but in others it would move it to the start of the line that contained the first occurrance. (It never moved it to the start of the Query unless the search string occurred on the first line.)

I just took a look at other applications (Word, Visual Studio, Notepad, etc.)

The only one that moves the cursor to the top is Notepad. The others move it back to wherever it was before you executed the replace all command. (or at least to the same line since position on line may have changed.)

This makes the most sense ... especially since my goal with SQLA has always been compatability with MS Word, wherever possible ... so I will modify the 15.x versions to do this.