Cannot add new system on TD Express 16.20

Viewpoint
Highlighted
Senior Apprentice

Cannot add new system on TD Express 16.20

Hi,

I'm trying to add my TD system to Viewpoint but failing with a TD security error. I could solve that if I could work out which user doesn't have the required Access Rights.

1. I enter the system name, tdpid (I'm using localhost) and 'site id'. I also tick the 'Enable System' box.
  2. I enter the password for user 'tdwm' and then click the 'Test' button. THIS WORKS.
  3. I add a new user (Viewpoint) and the password and then click the 'Test' button. THIS WORKS.
  4. I set the Time Zone to 'GMT+0 Dublin, London'.

Because steps 2 and 3 above work I must have the tdpid , usernames and passwords correct. If I login to the system (e.g. using SQLA) and look at DBC.LogonOffV I can see a session for both the TDWM and 'Viewpoint' users logging on and logging off.

However, when I click the 'Apply' button to save my system I get a red triangle next to the 'TDPId' field. Hovering over this triangle the following message is displayed: "Cannot connect to this Teradata database system to determine the system type."

Initially I thought this was a network/tdpid issue, but (as I said above) the 'test' logons work ok, so that should not be the issue.

I then checked the viewpoint log file (/opt/teradata/viewpoint/portal/logs/viewpoint.log) and found the following TD security error:

2018-10-01 11:31:45,137 ERROR [http-nio-9080-exec-4] {context=/MrsAdminPortlet, user=admin} jdbc.TeradataMonitorDAOJDBC.getPhysicalConfig(709) - Error retrieving Monitor Physical Config.

com.teradata.monitor.util.TeradataCliException: [Teradata Database] [TeraJDBC 16.20.00.01] [Error 3253] [SQLState 42000] Monitor Access Denied:  User has no Monitor Privileges.

So it looks like when you 'Apply' changes to a system definition, VP retrieves the physical config (probably to check Node type). The question then becomes, which user is being used to execute this request.

I have checked the access rights for user TDWM and that has MONSESSION and ABORTSESSION (from 'public' - EDIT these access right are granted directly to the user) as well as 'execute function' on 'Syslib.MonitorPhysicalConfig' (which is what I think VP actually uses based on the messages above).

User Viewpoint has no access rights (apart from automatic ones on itself) because the 'Grant' button is not enabled - and probably won't be until the system definition is 'applied'.

Looking in DBC.LogonOffV after this error has been encountered I notice that the session numbers are not consecutive - there are some session numbers 'missing'. I would expect session numbers to be consecutive - especially on a single PE system like TD Express. So it looks like VP is using an 'under the covers' mechanism to try and retrieve this information, but I don't know which user is being used.

My VP version is at 16.20.0.1-b58

My dbms version is 16.20.5.1

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Tags (2)