Teradata Viewpoint 13.11 released

Viewpoint
Teradata Viewpoint is Teradata's strategic and innovative SOV (single operational view) for Teradata DB, Aster, and HDP Hadoop systems management and monitoring that enables Teradata's Unified Data Architecture (UDA).
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata Viewpoint 13.11 released

Mozilla are currently releasing in a rapid speed, they're now pushing Firefox 5.0... I accidently clicked "yes" on the "do you want to upgrade" question, and then nothing in viewpoint was working..... I've now downgraded again, any plans on when viewpoint will be on firefox 5?
Teradata Employee

Regarding target database version for VP 13.11. Viewpoint 13.11 will support V2R6.2, 12.0, 13.0, and 13.10 with one exception, that being Workload Designer that only supports back to Teradata 12.0.

VP 13.11 will support Firefox 4.x. Mozilla has recently changed their release plans with major releases like 5,6,7 coming out at a much faster rate. We are evaluating the best way to manage these releases. For now, we don't have a release date for support of Firefox 5.x. We are aware of the issue however and are actively working on it.
Enthusiast

Thanks for the clarification. Another question...
Currently VP allows canary queries through a user which can be configured with accountstring, but there is no option to reuse an ID with multiple accountstrings, so we could run the canary in the respective workloads. Is this something that is already available, if not, would this be a feature for consideration.
Thanks in advance.
Teradata Employee

My suggestion would be to create separate canary queries for each different account string. The name of the canary query will be used to identify its metrics when you are looking at a portlet such as Canary Response Times, so there's a certain amount of configuration necessary to ensure you can identify each separate query.

Also, note that only one instance of each canary query will run at a given time. If you had a situation where one of your workloads had a big delay queue or was being allocated only a very small percent of resources, with the current solution, other canary queries will continue to be submitted against the other workloads. If we implemented something along the lines of what you are suggesting, it would probably block the submission of the queries against the other workloads.
Enthusiast

The canary SQL is distinct for each account string, its the actual database ID which is constant. This allows us to do 1:many on database id to canaries and we host all the canary SQL as views with a dedicated database (Ease of management). We figured out that we could use the same user id with multiple accountstring in the VP -> Teradata Systems --> General. The challenging part now is to properly select when setting up the canary. The dropdown list sorts the userid based on the userid/accountstring combination,so this is the trick part to have the right mapping. It would be beneficial if the dropdown list, lists both the parameters provided (Username & Accountstring) at user account setup time.
Teradata Employee

Are there any plans to incorporate PM/API to allow alerting of issues as they occur?
One problem we have is that we cannot set the data colector for database space to anything less than 3600 seconds. So if a peak in space usage occurs and then drops between the 1 hr period we are not alerted. This can cause problems with DBC capacity where resusage data collection is switched off when DBC exceeds capacity. i.e. say we have an alert on DBC at 90%, db space collected at 8am and DBC = 75% populated no issue. At 8:20am DBC hits 95% and at 8:50am DB is back to 80%, db space collected at 9am (3600 seconds after previous collection) and no alert as the db is below alert threshold.
Teradata Employee

We are aware of the current boundaries for space collections and have enhancement requests pending to address that. It has come up enough to warrant a priority increase. 2011 releases however are already committed so will look to next year for this.

Does anybody have problem with viewing workload piechart within workload monitor portlet? My customer had issues with IE6 before, it went away when the company upgraded to ID7. Now the problem came back again with IE8. Basically when he click on pie chart, all he gets is a blank screen and it freeze up on him. Had to kill/close the portlet and bring it back again.......anything to share on this?
Teradata Employee

The first recommendation would be to ensure you are running the latest patch levels, which currently is 13.11.00.05. However I don't see a specific fix in the patch release article for the problem you're describing. So I would suggest a GSC incident to investigate.
Teradata Employee

Hi Gary,
Not sure if this is the right place for me to ask questions about issues with Heatmap. My customer is using Vp 13.11.05,, and he said,,
1) No CPU data is being collected from our Production system into viewpoint. (any portlet that allows CPU data)
2) The Heatmap portlet is showing in black and white. How to change the color for the Heatmap.

Being a newbie to Vp, I do need some guidance here. I've researched, and found that it may be caused by permission to view Table metrics. No data appears until user selects a metric using the selection menus. Found it in,,
Teradata Viewpoint
User Guide
Release 13.11
B035-2206-120A
December 2010
- About the Capacity Heatmap Menus and Toolbar (pg 108)

Could you please advise?

Thanks,
Shah
/TD Support