Teradata Viewpoint 14.01 Release

Viewpoint
Teradata Viewpoint is Teradata's strategic and innovative SOV (single operational view) for Teradata DB, Aster, and HDP Hadoop systems management and monitoring that enables Teradata's Unified Data Architecture (UDA).
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Viewpoint 14.01 Release

An export option for Remote Console is a future releases consideration. I agree that it would be a useful addition.
Enthusiast

Great, thanks.
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Hi Gary,

I was wondering if the Alerts (Session) in VP 14.01 allows for running the alert only outside of core hours?

We're currently on VP 14.00 and I'm trying to develop a alerting mechanism for Idle SQLA user sessions but only outside the core hours. We might implement Abort in the alert as well.

John P
Teradata Employee

John,

Yes you can. When you define an "action set" in "Alert setup" you get three options "Core", "Evening" and "Weekends" You can choose "Evening" or "Weekends" or both as per your need. Below is the definition of "Evening" or "Weekends" options.

EVENING HOURS: The hours opposite Core Hours for core days.
WEEKEND HOURS: The ending time of the ending core day to the beginning time of the beginning core day.

You could define a new action set selecting "Evening" or "Weekends" or both as per your need and then in session alert select the newly created action set.

Thanks
Shrity
Enthusiast

Thanks Shrity. I have tried this. I have those hours defined and the Action Set set up for the emailing not selecting core hours, but the Abort Session is only defined in Viewpoint at the Teradata System|Setup|Alert Type|Session. Your suggestion would work if I could only enable the abort at the Action Set level.

What I was hoping was in VP 14.01 there would be an extension of the type of Action Sets that can be defined. I was hoping for ABORT in addition to eMail, SNMP, SQL, BTEQ, or "Run a program".
Teradata Employee

I see.. so you also want to abort the session. In that case yes abort can get triggered 24X7 and we don't have ABORT option as an Action Sets in Viewpoint 14.01.

Thanks
Shrity
Enthusiast

Hi Gary,
As i said before we are on recent version of VP 14.01.
Now a days we are observing the querymonitor showing several demographics in negative values. (So far we saw negative PJI, negative IO and negative spool, negative CPU like that). We are seeing once in a while for one particular session, it is reporting for a while for few sessions and reporting for 1 to 2 days for batch jobs. Not all the issues are appearing in issue. But individual negative values are appearing in individual sessions.
I know there is a concept of negative perm for dbc. but never heard above IO, CPU, PJI etc in negative values. I believe there should be something wrong with the VP gui. Can you please share your thoughts on this?
Teradata Employee

My thought is that this needs to be submitted to the Teradata Support Center for analysis and explanation. Sorry.
Enthusiast

I am posting the below question here as my question belongs to the 14.01 version,

This is about the NODE DOWN alert in Viewpoint.
We recently saw the node down (3-02) issue on our production box, we recieved an alert on the same. But after couple of days, another node went down (4-02) and the first down (3-02) came online. But still VP showing the same alert (with Subject of the email like this:[Alert] PRODUCTION - Node Down (Source: Viewpoint, Type: Node)

****Body of the email looks like this****
Event Timestamp: 2013-02-13T14:02:11.640-07:00

Proc ID=98
Node ID=3-02
Status=D
CPU Use=
Disk Use=
Network A Use=
Cic Use=
Disk Outage Request Average=
Disk IO=
Host IO=
Swaps=
Memory Failures=
Average Node CPU Usage=14.761381
Average Node Disk Usage=97.31792
System Network A Use=58.241455
Node CPU Skew=3.1299293

Description: (Status = D)

***My question is***,
Is there any way we can see the node name (or number) in the email, so that we can have some idea about the exact node which is down currently on the system.
Something like a this in the subject line: "PRODUCTION - Node Down (Source: Viewpoint, Type: Node-2-03)" instead of "PRODUCTION - Node Down (Source: Viewpoint, Type: Node)"

Thanks,
Geeta.
Enthusiast

Hi Gary,

I have been noticing my production box workload designer porlet is getting lengthier under the Local section with older versions rule sets. It is the length of 3 to 4 page downs. I know we can get rid of some of the older versions, but just want to know having them on that local section with extended length porlet can cause any impact?

Thanks,

Geeta.